Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Olympics

Kenny and I have been very busy watching the Olympics this year--more than in the past it seems. I've been keeping up with events we miss (this whole "everything's happening after I go to bed" thing is very frustrating to me--I can't stay up that late anymore AND go to work the next morning) on the internet...not quite as good as live prime time but it'll do in a pinch. And we've both been watching it in the evening as we eat our supper till it's time to go to bed.

These atheletes are amazing to me! And Michael Phelps...oh my goodness...where does he come from?! Where do they get this drive, this energy...what could I accomplish in one week if I had just the energy they put out in one race?! And that competetive spirit....I truly don't understand that. It comes at such a young age for them. Some of it is obvious--the ones who's parents both competed in previous Olympiads or were coaches. But what, again, about Phelps? I guess the question should be "how many kids are out there with that spirit in them just waiting to be discovered, let loose"? If we were to take all these ADHD kids and turn them loose in a pool, or on a bike, or something other than sitting them in front of a video game and giving them pills to quiet their energy....would we have more Michael Phelps and Justin Springs?

I have come up with a lot of questions since the games started:

Why is it that (to me) male swimmers have the perfect physiques, but on a female....just doesn't quite look right? Yet....the gymnasts bodys are very similar to the swimmers, yet female gymnasts look much better than the female swimmers????

Why do they require the female beach volleyball players to wear skimpy bikinis, but make the men wear baggy shorts and tank tops? And what is it with those lens-less glass frames!!!?

Why is pain attractive to some people?

And this whole competing in the rain thing...--me and rain---I know I'd melt.

And ping pong? Now I enjoy a good game of ping pong--round robin's down right fun...but in the Olympics?

And why is this the last year for soft ball?

And have you heard how many calories these guys and gals have to put away?!!!! No wonder they can afford to do the McDonald commercials...3 hamburgers and they have their daily quota. What they don't tell us is for the rest of us those same 3 hamburgers is our monthly calorie quota! Isn't that just a little deceiving?

How would it be to do nothing but what you love, eat and sleep....and get prizes and money for it?

What wonderful bodies God has given us! What could more of us accomplish with them if we took just a fraction of the time these boys and girls, men and women from all over the world, from all circumstances and situations take to train, to eat appropriately, to use our bodies in the way it was originally planned? How we (I) have abused these fantastic machines that could serve us so much more if we would only give up certain types of foods and....not spend our free time...sitting...watching....the....Olympics....

So many questions--some of which I'm sure many people have the answers for. But I've been having way too much fun watching and pondering, spending more time on it all than I have a right to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! What does HTML mean? And, did you know that if you spoonerize "Blog Author" you get "Aog Bluthor". How do you HTML that?! More seriously now - I think Michael Phelps looks just like what I envision a merman would look like. :-///>< P.S. You are an inspiration to ME, too, Toni! You've got me Blogerating!
Kat R.