Thursday, September 25, 2008

The animal lover in me

My mom has a photo of me clear back in the first grade sitting on our lawn with about 20 cats all over and around me. I was in heaven! At the time we lived on a farm with land, freshly milked cows, and mice galore. As far back as I can remember we have always had animals--farm animals as well as the more exotic.


While living in Mexico, my brother would buy animals from the locals, saving the poor beasts from becoming soup. In that three year period we had a pet oppossum, a coati mundi, and even a deer. There were wild birds that would blow down from the rain forest during a storm--once even a toucan. We kept these only long enough for them to regain consiousness and then would let them loose.


And of course there were our parrots: Cotorro, Feo ("ugly" in Spanish--have you ever seen a baby parrot?), and Sopi (short for sopelote or "buzzurd"--again, have you ever seen a baby parrot?). The vocabulary of the creatures was amazing. Sopi could play a whole soccer game in spanish and english, call the cat and then bark at him, say "please" and "thank you" at the apporpriate times. He loved hot chocolate and would go from person to person saying "give me some", then "thank you". He was my parrot and preferred women with glasses and men with beards (my dad). They are truly wonderful animals.


I have already introduced you to Dude, our Newfoundland--my baby. In reality he is my daughter's dog and adores her, but until she can find a permanent home that will handle a very large, hairy, slobbery dog, he will stay with us. We had rescued two Newfoundlands in the past and have finally been blessed with one we could raise with manners!


Then there is Zeke, Dude's puppy. He is Justin's dog (again, still living with us...same story as Dude). He is a happy, go-lucky hyper dog who only wants to please you. Justin had the nerve to inform me this summer that "Zeke needs a puppy"! I reminded him that that is how we got Zeke in the first place. I am happy to announce that both dogs are becoming great fishin' dogs!



The newest additions to our family are Lola and Luigi. They are so entertaining! Last night they were each chasing the others tails. They are not too sure of the two, obviously, much larger dogs and I have the scratch marks to prove it. But everyone is beginning to settle down--we've only had them four days.



I have had so many pets over the years: Dusty, Rex, Quila, Mr. Schultz, Max, TC, Fire, Sox, Sassy, Buck, Callie, Spanky, Solomon and his many wives (rooster and hens), Freckles (lamb), on and on. God has given us so many enjoyable things to amuse us, to teach us responsibility and the true meaning of loyalty. For those of you non-animal lovers, don't worry--I have had enough enjoyment and lessons of responsibility and loyalty for all of us!

No comments: